An official website of the United States government
How to build a resume.
To build a resume in USAJOBS:
- Sign into USAJOBS.
- Go to your Documents .
- Make sure you’re in the Resumes section and select the Upload or build resume button.
- Click Build resume .
- Name your new resume and click Next .
- Click Add Work Experience , enter the required information and click Save Work Experience . To add additional work experience repeat this step or click Next to continue with your education information.
- Click Add Education , enter the required information and click Save Education . Repeat this step to add additional education or click Next to continue with your references. You may also click Finish if you don’t want to add more information.
- Click Add Reference , enter the required information and click Save Reference . Repeat this step to add an additional reference or click Next to continue to the next step.
- You can enter additional information on your resume such as job related training, language skills, organizations/affiliations, professional publications, and other information. Click the corresponding button under each section to add your information, enter your information and click Add or Save for each section once completed.
- Click Finish to save your resume. Your new resume will appear in your Documents list.
- Click View on the resume icon to preview your resume. To edit your resume click Edit on the resume icon and it will bring you to the first page of your resume in the resume builder tool.
Save your work periodically
For security reasons, your session will time out after a period of inactivity. We recommend you Save periodically so that you do not lose any work.
Updating your resume
In order to capture changes that you have made to your profile you will need to build a new resume. USAJOBS does not automatically update existing resumes. This allows you to easily keep a set of resumes to apply to different jobs and only apply changes when you desire.
Tips for formatting resumes in USAJOBS resume builder
You can copy and paste text from Word documents into the resume builder. However, some formatting in these documents may not work in the USAJOBS resume builder. To fix formatting errors inside your resume, you must first save the original file in a .txt format.
To copy and paste from Word:
- Open up your Word document or other word processing tool.
- Select the File tab at the top.
- Go to the Save As option.
- Choose to save it as a Plain Text (.txt) file.
- Open the new file and ensure the text appears in an acceptable format.
- Copy and paste your resume text into the resume builder.
To edit your USAJOBS resume-builder resume:
- Click on your username at the top of the page and select Documents from the menu.
- Find the resume you want to edit and click “Edit” (located below the resume).
- This will bring you to the first page of your resume.
Tips for submitting resumes to agencies
Some agencies accept uploaded resumes and resumes created using the USAJOBS resume builder, while some may only accept one or the other. Even though you may have both types of resumes in the Document section of your profile, the agency determines which ones to accept when you are applying online. The Apply button displayed on the job announcement page activates the process for a job seeker to complete an application.
USAJOBS automatically provides a list of available resumes and other documents to attach to your application, and will only display resumes and documents the hiring agency is willing to accept. For example, if the hiring agency only accepts resumes created using the USAJOBS resume builder, then your uploaded resumes will not be available to add to your application. Please pay special attention to the How to Apply section of the job announcement to find out which resume format and documents are accepted and how to submit them to the hiring agency.
Please use the form below to contact us. We will get back to you within one business day. Your interest and patience are appreciated.
USAJOBS does not provide direct phone support. The form below will allow you to send an email to the Help Desk where you can request assistance by phone or email.
Please provide your phone number in case your issue cannot be resolved via email.
Please do not include your Social Security Number.
(2000 characters remaining)
Your session is about to expire!
Your USAJOBS session will expire due to inactivity in eight minutes. Any unsaved data will be lost if you allow the session to expire. Click the button below to continue your session.
VETERAN RESUMES Free Online Resume Builder For Veterans!
Creating a Professional Resume and Cover Letter Has Never Been So Easy. Build a Resume Today.
VETERAN RESUME BUILDER
Benefits of using our veteran resume builder.
Cover Letter Builder
Easily export pdf, multiple resume templates, resume templates.
Each template is expertly designed and follows the exact “resume rules” hiring managers look for.
Resume Two Column
Resume Two Column 2
Resume Professional 2
FREE RESUME BUILDER FOR VETERANS
Unlimited Resumes and Cover Letters. Unlimited PDF Downloads.
- SIGN UP NOW
Tap into resume-building tools. These websites have tools to help you build your resume and translate your military credentials and experience into civilian skills. They reference veterans, but they’re also for active duty.
The Department of Veterans Afairs (VA) created the . VA for Vets. program for just this purpose: to make the process of inding, applying for and obtaining federal civilian jobs easier. This Resume Building Guide describes the federal recruiing process at a high level, ideniies the characterisics of good and bad resumes, provides samples of good ...
Sign into USAJOBS. Go to your Documents. Make sure you’re in the Resumes section and select the Upload or build resume button. Click Build resume. Name your new resume and click Next. Click Add Work Experience, enter the required information and click Save Work Experience.
Application Forms. To apply for Federal positions, you can submit a completed resume, curriculum vitae, or an Application for Federal Employment - Optional Form (OF) 612, along with other documents requested in each vacancy announcement. You can download the OF-612, as well as other employment forms used in the application process, below.
VETERAN RESUMES. Free Online Resume Builder For Veterans! Creating a Professional Resume and Cover Letter. Has Never Been So Easy. Build a Resume Today.
Use the federal agency’s online resume builder. Copy and paste sections from your master resume into the online resume builder website of the federal agency that you are applying to. You can also create a hard copy of your resume if a federal agency requires one. Choose your words carefully.
Resume Tools. A clear and accurate presentation of your work history ensures that recruiters and hiring managers recognize the full value of your work experiences. Do not assume that they know what you do. Your statements represent the content necessary to validate the proficiency levels you claimed on the assessment questionnaire.